"ONCE IN A LOO" Ft.Kanmani

  ONCE IN A LOO







Closing and imagining the word “public toilet”...


Not even entering, the very passing nearby one, with such a heavy, intense odor of many other’s susu, would straight away stop me from entering. (Not even Double/Triple mask is gonna be our saviour here from the stinky smell! Yikes!)


Disregarding the smell-part, when one enters just to find these- no proper running water connection, unflushed commodes (filthy stuffs inside- even used sanitary napkins), while some just drop their pads in a corner, as the toilet doesn’t have a dustbin to discard.


While thinking of public toilets, it would be bad on my part if I fail to mention the fancy ones. The one we could usually spot in tourist spots- “நவீன கட்டண கழிப்பறை" (Pay and Use Toilets). Here, one can spot posters of famous Indian Film Actors, Cricketers propagating as brand ambassadors to avail the service. So here, the ticket/ token price ranges between:

₹ 2/- to 5/- for “one bathroom” aka peeing, and

₹ 5/- to 10/- for “two bathroom” aka pooping

(Now here, we are not entitled to use two bathrooms just because we paid higher and are privileged customers. Strictly no concession, whatsoever!)

Also, it has been years since I've been to one, so the tariffs might differ based on economy, inflation, petrol price, etc.

I could recollect one such memory from the Naveena kattana kazhiparrai, when the person in-charge (usually that typical strict lady who is assigned for this designation), questioned the user if she had gone for one bathroom or two bathroom as she took longer and paid only for one bathroom. Although, I couldn’t stand further to know what she actually did and who won.


Also, let me quickly narrate a nighttime A/c private bus travel (within Tamilnadu). That was the first time I traveled in an a/c bus, while I usually prefer the train. I was on my period and as I was traveling, wanted to pee badly. I had called the Driver and his assistant to stop by a toilet or some hotel, I also told them that I was on my period. But I was told that they won’t halt between their next designated stop, which would take some hard FOUR hell long hours. I went and stood near the door and was literally requesting, yelling and trying all means to stop the bus. The bus kept moving and by this time the whole bus knew about my period and peeing urgency. I was told by another co-passenger that even that guy wanted to pee but he was holding it long. This is how it is, you have to just hold it, until they stop somewhere. Ignoring the inconsiderate people here, I couldn’t spot a single hotel/ toilet for use. I had to pee in an open area (ofcourse, a better option than an unclean toilet).


I have this habit, no matter what, I just HAVE to pee a few drops before stepping outta home. Just in case, you know! Coz' I don't wanna use the outside ones. I have been that person who holds pee until I reach home/ find a clean toilet for use. If need arises, I have requested in decent restaurants, just to use the restroom, even in such places, there is no surety for neat ones. What I most prefer, is to step inside a nearby mall, which usually has cleaner toilets, maintained properly than elsewhere in public space. Now I have switched from mall toilets to metro station toilets. Although I could sense that not all stations do frequent cleanups.



This is the plight of using public toilets in Namma Chennai. I know there are some hygiene products to ensure hygiene and safety while using a public toilet. But instead of taking treatment for the illness, shall we spot the root cause and eradicate it? If there are hygienic toilets, why will there be a need to use such products? I’m not against these hygiene products here. Let me make that clear again. The idea is to hope for public spaces with properly maintained toilets, so people can actually "use" them.


I came to know about this interesting event that's coming up for the first time in the city- International Toilet Festival - conducted by Cheer Team & Recycle in collaboration with the Greater Chennai Corporation, Dutch Ministry, International Institute for Infrastructural Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering (Netherlands), and Dot Product Solutions LLP., on April 2nd & 3rd 2022 (Sat & Sun) at Santhome Higher Secondary School, Mylapore, Chennai. It's an awareness programme, Toilet expo, Mapathon- mapping all public toilets in the city and a lot more. If you're wondering what to do on the weekend, step in at the venue to check out what's in store, I'm sure there's something you would take back with you.


(P. S.: Not a promo article).


Looking towards a brighter, cleaner future ahead!


Until next time,


~KANMANI


Comments

  1. Yeah.. awareness much needed!! Frm our society Especially fa tis current situation...
    Go well with proper sanitize and sustainable..
    One who maintain cleanliness.. keeps away diseases! FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that, it is responsibility of each and every individual, when it comes to the hygiene part...Its matter of practise I have seen people who don't even keep there house toilets clean...Mentality needs to be more polished...

    However one positive note is India is becoming from "No Toilets" to atleast having some Toilets to pee/poo...

    We can just hope that with polishing people mentality and introducing more mobile bio tiolet we will be in much better place to peee :)

    Well written , looking forward for more articles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing write up!! Waiting for your next post.Content with awareness ,it's a nice combo to read and in some place ur narration of situation made me laugh and think.Great one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment